Thursday, September 04, 2003

Save Classic Music
I'm becoming a classical music aficionado. The more I listen to it, the more I get out of it. My friend Aaron plays for the Fort Worth Symphony orchestra, so I've been fortunate enough to be able to attend concerts at a greatly reduced cost. This has served to fuel the fire.

The health of the classical music community appears to be in jeopardy. Concert attendance is down, music sales are slipping, ensembles and even orchestras are going bankrupt at record rates. This state of affairs has prompted budget record label, Naxos, to sponsor a contest:

Naxos - Saving Classical Music Contest

This contest challenged us, the classical music listeners, to come up with suggestions on how to fix the problems the industry is currently experiencing. I participated. I didn't win, but I will be featured in the "Divertimenti" section that is coming next week, if you really want to read my letter. But, the people who did win, deserve to. They had some really good suggestions. I particularly enjoyed the letter from Grand Prize Winner Joe Long. These are a good read. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home